Monday, February 7, 2011

Great Career Exploration Site at McGill U

Students Studying Pictures, Images and Photos

I'm often asked where to begin in figuring out what to do with the rest of your life. Not surprisingly I always answer: "With you." Before you begin to search for available jobs, you need to begin with a little self analysis. Taking the time now can save you years of going down the wrong road and having to retrace your steps.

I'll give you an example from my own life. When I graduated high school at 16, I decided to go into nursing, most likely because my older brother had gone into medicine and because my family said I could always get a job. But by choosing nursing, I ignored my own nature. I wasn't interested in sciences, not detail oriented and overwhelmed in the super stressful environment of hospitals. Years later, a fish out of water as an ICU nurse, I compounded my error by getting a Masters in Health administration. I was in my 30s before I finally conceded to myself, "This isn't working," and became a writer. I finally found the sort of work that matched my styles and interests.

Fortunately there are some great tools for you to learn what kinds of careers might suit you and walk you through the process. McGill University's website has a tools that can help walk you through a self assessment process. It offers nine steps from that all important self assessment to shaking an interviewer's hand and accepting your first job. There's links, tips, podcasts and advice at every step of the way. It's one of the best organized sites I've seen.

You can use Macgill's site to:

1) Do a Self Assessment
2) Explore Careers
3) Engage in New Experiences
4) Research Employers & Target Organizations
5) Develop Your Networking Skills
6) Look for Job Opportunities
7) Write a CV and Cover Letter
8) Prepare for the Interview
9) Know Salary and Labour Information

Check it out.

4 comments:

  1. Looks like this site are so useful, isn't it?? Well, it's cool. I will use it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice blog on career coaching.It helped alot.Thank you for sharing this wonderfull information.I know another institute www.instituteforcoaching.com
    providing their best services in career coaching and life coaching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete